Tubasanyukidde or Welcome!

I've taken on many challenges in life; keeping a goldfish alive for more than a week, successfully eating entire pints of Ben & Jerry's in a single sitting, and managing to survive my first two years of college. Now I take on the daunting task of keeping a blog during my one month stay at Amagezi Gemaanyi Youth Association (or for those of who have no idea how to pronounce that... AGYA), an educational community center in Kampala, Uganda.

While this is mostly is to keep my dad from pulling a Liam Neeson in Taken, it hopefully will provide some entertainment for those of you (aka my family and the people I pay $5/hr to pretend to be my friends) tired of watching Sex in the City re-reruns, bored at your internships, or sick of looking at the same newsfeed on facebook. Well, you've been warned.


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hi Muzungus (white people/foreigners)! - or what the kids say every time we pass

Yes. I've made it. No, I've yet to contract malaria. And yes, I've found a boyfriend. His name is Tata, he's five years old, and he let me borrow his watch for the day. So yeah, things are getting pretty serious...not to mention I'm one of his four girlfriends. It's ok, I hope to steal his heart by the end of the month.

We've been here a week now and as of today I've finally received all my luggage. Luckily I had all my clothes with me, just not my fattening American goodies for the kids. Which consists of Reeses, starbursts, and some random toys and supplies, etc. etc. etc. (and yes I ate the entire bag of Reeses on the way back from the airport...no shame). We've had no running water the entire time we've been here, so needless to say I've smelled really nice the past week (kind of like I've rolled around in all the smells that accumulate after a Thursday night at any frat house...mmm yummy). You just come to terms with constantly being sweaty, dusty and dirty, and that hand sanitizers can only go so far. I discovered a couple days ago the concept of a bucket shower. Where we fill up gerrycans (containers to hold water) at the natural spring well which is a two minute walk from the house, bring it back, pour it into a bucket, and then use a cup to pour the water over ourselves. Rustic? Maybe. The feeling of some sort of liquid cleaning your skin after 5 days? Absolutely incredible.

Some of you may think, why the hell did we let her do this (this one mostly goes toward my parents and Tess Gilmore). But I wouldn't have it any other way. Life is simple, yet real here. Most of all it's a breath of fresh (yet dusty) air. The people could not be more wonderful, more happy, or more caring. I've never come across kids so happy to see you or play with you. Considering I act like a five year old half the time with a two year olds attention span, I feel soo at home here. So good luck getting me out of here. And if I manage to leave, you best expect me trying to smuggle several small children in my carryon.

More to come...assuming I can get myself to an internet cafe before I leave. All my love from Uganda and my Omutima (heart...duh!)

Peace out Muzungus, I gotta buy me some chocolate and baby wipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment